Bridging Hematologic Cancer Disparities: A Path to Equity
Disparities in hematologic cancers can manifest in various ways, including differences in incidence, access to care, treatment outcomes, and survival rates among diverse population groups. Addressing these disparities is essential for providing equitable patient care and improving overall outcomes.
The gaps observed in cancer care are rooted not only in healthcare accessibility challenges but also in cultural obstacles, entrenched racism, environmental disadvantages, hereditary risk factors, ongoing health complications, and sustained stress due to prejudice and societal exclusion. The intricate interplay of these elements has mainly contributed to the challenge of curbing health discrepancies and achieving a balanced health landscape.
This hematology conference, Bridging Hematologic Cancer Disparities: A Path to Equity, will shed light on a spectrum of topics that delve into the systemic obstacles and racial discrimination causing these health inequities. We aim to spotlight both the problems and potential solutions, emphasizing programs and research that target these cancer care disparities.
- Hematologists and medical oncologists
- Hematology/oncology fellows
- Nurse practitioners/physician assistants
By the end of this CME activity, participants will be able to:
- Review the disparities in incidence, diagnosis, and outcomes of hematologic malignancies among different population groups.
- Describe the social determinants and biological factors contributing to disparities in hematologic cancers.
- Identify barriers to care and the impact of these barriers on treatment outcomes.
- Implement strategies to promote equitable care for all patients with hematologic malignancies.
December 9th, 2023
All times are listed in Pacific Time (PT)
05:30 PM to 06:00 PM – Networking
06:00 PM to 06:15 PM – Introduction & Welcome - Binay Shah, MD, MHA
06:15 PM to 07:00 PM – Access to bispecifics and cellular therapy panel discussion
Moderator: Martha Pritchett Mims, MD, PhD
Panelists: Srinivas Tantravahi, MBBS, MRCP; Hamza Hashmi, MD; Haifaa Abdulhaq, MD; C. Anthony Blau, MD; Grzegorz S. Nowakowski, MD
07:00 PM to 07:45 PM – Global hematology panel discussion
Moderator: Binay Shah, MD, MHA
Panelists: Steven Kussick, MD, PhD; Siddhartha Ganguly, MD, FACP; Dinesh Pendharkar, MD, PhD, MBA
07:45 PM to 08:30 PM – Dinner